Monday 20 February 2012

Lemon drizzle cake

In the third issue of 'Baked & Delicious' there is a recipe for lemon drizzle cake. Incidentally, my in-laws happen to have a lemon tree in their small garden and last week they kindly provided a small bag of freshly picked juicy lemons. My plan was to make the cake as a Valentine treat, but although the cake turned out really well, it doesn't really scream love to you!

I used more sugar and flour than the original recipe suggested (I know, I know, but I'm not really good with exact measures) but the cake still turned out really well. Anyway, here's my slightly revised recipe:

Whisk together 175 grammes butter and 225 grammes sugar until light and fluffy. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, mixing between each addition until fully incorporated. If the butter is really cold, it may be necessary to scrape down the bowl from time to time. Pulse in 300 grammes sifted self-raising flour, the grated rind of 1 lemon, 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 3 tablespoons milk. Pour the batter in a greased 900 grammes silicon loaf pan and bake it in a 180 degrees Cecius pre-heated oven for around 1 hour. When the cake is out of the oven, prick the top of the cake with a skewer and pour over a syrup made up of 3 tablespoons golden syrup or honey and 3 tablespoons lemon juice (the syrup is preferably warmed through for a few seconds in the microwave).




The original recipe suggests a crunchy topping made up of the grated zest of 1 or 2 lemons and enough granulated sugar to bind. I can say that this really brought out the lemony flavour and added some zinc to the cake.

All in all, I was quite impressed. The cake is moist, but not too much. It tastes really good. I presume it keeps quite well too, however I didn't get the chance to test that  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment